Friday, September 29, 2017

30 de septiembre, Día Internacional de la Traducción-DÍA INTERNACIONAL DEL TRADUCTOR-Ramon Writes

The following information is used for educational purposes only.


         What happened to Ramon of ‘Ramon Writes’?


Posted on September 3, 2014




For many years the Buenos Aires Herald ran an irregular column written by Basil Thomson (aka B.T.) called Ramon Writes. Ramon (always without accent) had a less than perfect control of English but was a master of Spanglish. Ramon’s last communication with BT was on July 13 1977. The last readers heard of him he was working aboard a liner, then …

Recently, in a periodic cleanup, the following letter turned at the Herald offices. It seems to have arrived in about 1995 and to have been swept up with some other papers. It does at least explain Ramon’s initial long silence, if not the second one ..

Southampton Docks,

Dear B.T.

How much it makes that I don’t make reach you my notices. The truth it is that I have had the disgrace to be encarcelated during the latest eighteen years. The blame was not mine, but intend to explain was to the divine button. There is not the worse deaf that he who doesn’t want to hear.

You will remind yourself I was working of waiter aboard of a transatlantic and it touched me a companion of the bed of alternating current, Rosanna, also a waiter of table but of the side opposite, and there armed itself a bundle of the great seven.

Of not to be able to go down of the bark in Genoa I had to support that one and what bronc it gave me until that we found ourselves in London and he asked me the chief of machines to go of shopping with him like interpreter. It results that the chief of machines knew not a potato of the English and as I dominate it (after all the years I have of perfecting it) desired that I accompanied him in order that he buys gifts for his woman and creatures.

So that we find ourselves with the chief of machines making buys in the England’s capital. I am diverting myself in great, saluting all the people and practising the English, and everything it is going us well but is always raining and with the cold it makes I become aphonic and can’t more with the interpretation, but the chief of machines he says not to preoccupy myself as in every case I can anote on a sheet or if not point it with the finger.

I am of agree, and there is where begins all the problem. On small sheets I anote the words ‘How much costs this one?’, ‘I carry myself three’, ‘Put me it all in this bag’, etc., thinking so I can demonstrate them to the employed of the stores. And very well walks the system – I deliver the bag and the message and the employed she very well understands me.

But the latest day pass me the following. The chief of machines he charges me of finding a pistol for his older son that lets free sparks and makes the great noise, during he occupies him by passing for the consulate and other diligences of the latest moment. And when I arrive to buy the pistol I think why not buy me one also. I think on menacing Rosanna, the pistol it is very realistic, so that Rosanna leaves to molest me more. So that I buy me another pistol more and I guard me it in the pocket of the jacket where I guard the money and the documents.

But before to return to the bark I have to pass for the house of change for to change me the pounds that stay me. You will remind you that I am aphonic so the bag of shopping I put it on the shelf and I take out the sheet where are anoted the words ‘Please change me these pounds to dollars’ but disgracefully I mistake myself and I deliver to the employes of the house of change the note where says ‘Put me it all in this bag’.

During so much I am trying to take out the wallet where I guard the document of the pocket, but it doesn’t want to go out because of the pistol I bought to shock Rosanna so I am obliged to myself to take out the pistol and then there arms itself a bundle bigger that a house and I find myself on the back and then come the agents of the police and they carry me to the station of the police.

Well, I intend to explain that happened, that I am waiter of table on transatlantic, of Rosanna, of the chief of machine’s creatures, etc., but there isn’t case, and they carry me to the tribunal which calls itself Old Bailey, and the judge he dictates me the sentence that I must pass eighteen years at her majesty’s delight. Of those years better I don’t speak. Like those years my friend I don’t want to pass another.

So it resulted, and recently now I make the preparations to voyage of return to Buenos Aires. You can calculate me to be of return soon, and if for there there is an entry in your diary for a colaborator or traducer you can count with me to be disposable. (It goes without to say that now my domination of the English is complete). And if there doesn’t present itself an entry for me of immediate in your diary, for there you are vinculated with persons or amisties of confidence of whom you can ask an attention.

In all case, I compromise myself to put me in contact or there or from the exterior for a letter as this one. There faults little for that we take a cup with you, and until then receive salutes from your friend,

Ramon





Source:http://www.eayrs.com/blog/archives/289







                     Posts Tagged ‘Ramon Writes’

Traducción 4. Un caso exitoso de la traducción literal: Basil Thomson y Ramon Writes

Junio 30, 2010

En los pares de idiomas donde la traducción literal es factible, los mejores traductores aprenden en sus primeros estudios a discriminar entre la traducción literal apropiada entre los dos idiomas (cuando el resultado resulta aceptable en el idioma de destino, además de transmitir el sentido completo del texto original) y la traducción literal no apropiada (que da un resultado no aceptable).

Por regla general, la traducción literal en este segundo sentido conduce a malentendidos serios o lagunas en la comunicación, sin embargo, también tiene el potencial de hacer reír a la gente! Dado este potencial, no es de extrañar que la traducción literaria no apropiada no siempre es el resultado de la ignorancia sino que, a veces, puede ser utilizado como un medio de divertir a los demás. Un caso exitoso del uso humorístico de la traducción literal fue el de Basil Thomson.

Thomson, un inglés radicado en Argentina desde el año 1949, trabajó durante muchos años como periodista del Buenos Aires Herald (periódico de lengua inglesa). Además de sus artículos sobre noticias nacionales e internacionales, Thomson publicó otra serie de artículos en las que ofrecía a sus lectores argentinos el placer de reírse de las burdas traducciones literales del español que intercalaba en sus narraciones en inglés un personaje llamado Ramon (sin acento).
Estos artículos humorísticos (“Ramon Writes” – siempre sin acento) tuvieron gran éxito desde 1949 hasta 1977 y finalmente se publicaron en forma de libro en 1979, bajo el mismo título, aparentemente para recaudar fondos para una caridad bonaerense, pero posiblemente como un sutil homenaje a Thomson por su actitud valiente hacía la junta militar actual, actitud que le costó caro: la expulsion del país en ese mismo año de 1979.

Aquí se ofrecen algunas muestras de la obra de “Ramon”, tanto para los curiosos como para los estudiantes y aficionados de la traducción.

En la página 10, Thomson describe cómo nació “Ramon”después de rechazar su primera idea de componer un diccionario del “argentino-irlandés”.

“I put myself in the place of a fairly advanced and confident but careless student and expressed myself as I imagined he would. This involved thinking in vernacular Spanish and writing in English.”

Los editores de esta colección escogieron el siguiente trozo como su preferido.

“I supplicate you that you pass of high so much discourtesy of my part for not writing these past four months.

What passed was that I had planned to go to that one in person and because of that I desisted. It had of object my visit to see if I could accommodate myself in some ministry or gobernation after they happened the events that are of public dominion.

But in vespers of absenting myself there writes me a friend of the faculty to tell me that my voyage would be to the divine button because the things have not changed themselves nothing: the milics have copated themselves everything.

As you can await, I felt myself disillusioned, because I give myself count that this life of camp doesn’t fall me well, and of commerce I do not want to occupy myself. For me, who coursed three years of studies of public traducer there should always exist entry into the official life. With the patience of always, I will wait.” (p. 12)

Y una más:

“At my arrival I went to visit a known one who is familiar of another, who is vinculated with a man who knows all the world. He gave me a letter of presentation and I presented myself and was received very amiably. This man he gave me a card, we took the coffee together and he redacted a letter for me directed to the secretary of redaction of one of the principal pregonators of the country.
“I won’t molest you with the all the letter but it was something formidable. It said that I desire to associate myself with the profession and, it being possible, to incorporate myself to the paper “of your dignified direction”. And a lot more, ending as usual, with “with my motives expressed I make propitious the opportunity to salute you attentively without any other particular.”

(Según Amazon.com, esta obra está agotada, pero seguramente en algunas librerías de segunda mano habrá unos cuantos ejemplares disponibles.)




Source/Fuente:https://brianestil.wordpress.com/tag/ramon-writes/








One Street of Separation (Una Calle nos Separa)-Néstor en Bloque


September,2013











































Source/Fuente:www.youtube.com













                                                 San Jerónimo de Estridón




DÍA INTERNACIONAL DEL TRADUCTOR




      30 de septiembre, Día Internacional de la Traducción

25/09/2017

Observatorio de la Lectura y el Libro


El próximo 30 de septiembre se celebra el Día Internacional de la Traducción, una iniciativa anual que rinde homenaje a los traductores y reconoce su papel esencial en la transmisión de la cultura y el conocimiento y que este año lleva por lema ‘Translation and Diversity’
Con motivo de esta celebración y con el objetivo de poner el foco durante estos días en la importante labor de los traductores, a lo largo de esta semana desde el Observatorio pondremos en marcha dos iniciativas en Twitter, una encuesta y el reto ‘Descubre al traductor’
Como cada año desde hace ya medio siglo, en coincidencia con la fiesta de San Jerónimo, considerado por muchos el primer traductor y patrono de los traductores, el 30 de septiembre se celebra el Día Internacional de la Traducción Enlace externo, se abre en ventana nueva Nueva ventana. Se trata de una iniciativa promovida por la Federación Internacional de Traductores (FIT)Enlace externo, se abre en ventana nueva Nueva ventana con la que se pretende rendir anualmente un homenaje a todos los hombres y mujeres que se dedican a esta profesión clave para el mundo del libro.

Bajo el lema ‘Translation and Diversity’, este año se hará hincapié en la importante contribución de los traductores e intérpretes en la diversidad cultural en un mundo lleno de posibilidades para aprender, crecer y compartir basado en la comprensión mutua y el respeto a los demás.

5 pistas, 5 traductores ¿Te animas a descubrirlos...?















Con motivo de esta celebración se ponen en marcha multitud de iniciativas en todo el mundo cuya finalidad es reivindicar la importancia de esta profesión y el papel de los traductores. Desde el Observatorio nos unimos a ella con dos actuaciones en la red social Twitter con las que queremos contribuir a hacer más visible el importantísimo papel de los traductores. Por un lado, haremos una encuesta para saber si nos solemos fijar en el nombre del traductor del libro que estamos leyendo, si somos conscientes de que en los títulos de créditos aparece “alguien”, el nombre de una persona sin cuyo trabajo no podríamos tener esa obra en nuestras manos.

Campaña 'Descubre al traductor'

También vamos a lanzar el concurso ‘Descubre al traductor’, un reto en el que invitamos a los usuarios de Twitter a averiguar la identidad de 5 traductores con la ayuda de 5 pistas, una por autor, con información sobre su obra. Es nuestro pequeño homenaje a su inmensa labor porque sin ellos no podríamos disfrutar de muchos de los libros que hemos leído y leeremos a lo largo de nuestra vida ¿Te imaginas si no hubiéramos podido conocer a Pinocho, acompañar a Sherezade durante mil y una noches, ser testigos de la metamorfosis de Gregor Samsa o del nacimiento de Frankenstein...? Ni vivir “la edad de la inocencia”, entender el origen de las especies o el teorema de Pitágoras, encontrarnos con 6 personajes en busca de autor, resolver algún caso de Sherlock Holmes, preguntarnos si ser o no ser, atravesar “la carretera”, sufrir con Emma Bovary o las criadas de la República de Gilead , viajar a la corte del príncipe Hikaru Genji o saber que no sabemos nada…

Las pistas, una por cada día en que la campaña estará en marcha, se ofrecerán en Twitter a partir del 25 de septiembre a través de la cuenta @observalibro del Observatorio de la Lectura y el Libro. El 30 de septiembre se hará una recopilación con las 5 pistas. Los tuits con el nombre del traductor deberán enviarse a @observalibro con la etiqueta #descubrealtraductor, desde el mismo día 25 hasta el 1 de octubre a las 24:00 horas.

Los ganadores, 3 en total, serán elegidos por sorteo entre los participantes que hayan acertado las 5 preguntas y serán anunciados el 4 de octubre. Cada uno recibirá un estupendo lote de libros. Por supuesto... todos ellos traducidos.

Bases #descubrealtraductor

1. Los tuits deberán remitirse del 25 septiembre hasta el 1 de octubre a las 24 horas.

2. El 2 de octubre daremos a conocer la identidad de los 5 traductores que había que descubrir.

3. El 4 de octubre realizaremos un sorteo entre todos los participantes que hayan acertado la identidad de los 5 traductores que había que descubrir, siempre que hayan remitido a @observalibro las respuestas correctas en el plazo fijado y con la etiqueta #descubrealtraductor. Ese mismo día daremos a conocer la identidad de los tres ganadores a través de nuestra cuenta de Twitter.

4. Los tres ganadores que resulten elegidos por sorteo recibirán, cada uno, un lote de libros. La elección y envío de dichos libros correrá a cargo de la Subdirección General del Libro, la Lectura y las Letras Españolas.

5. El envío de los libros únicamente se realizará dentro del territorio español, incluyéndose Islas Canarias, Islas Baleares, Ceuta y Melilla. En caso de que el ganador resida fuera de España, podrá ceder el premio a otra persona o entidad que tenga su residencia en España o bien podrá renunciar al lote de libros.

6. En el mismo sorteo, además de los 3 ganadores, se elegirán otros 6 participantes más que hayan acertado la identidad de los 5 traductores que había que descubrir, que quedarán como suplentes. En caso de que el Observatorio no pueda contactar con algún ganador en el plazo máximo de una semana desde el mismo día del sorteo, o que no se le puedan hacer llegar el lote de libros por residir fuera de España, o si algún ganador renuncia al premio, contactará con los suplentes por riguroso orden.

7. En caso de que ninguno de los suplentes cumpla con los requisitos para el envío de los libros, no se pueda contactar con ellos en el plazo estipulado o renuncie a los libros, la campaña se cerraría sin el envío del premio.

Algunos datos sobre la traducción de libros en España


España tiene una larga tradición en lo que a traducciones se refiere. Esta característica se pone de manifiesto en las cifras que, cada año, arrojan los diversos estudios sobre producción editorial. Según los datos del Avance de Panorámica de la Edición Española de Libros 2016:

La obra traducida representó el pasado año el 16,1% de la edición española de libros, con un total de 13.867 libros traducidos (excluidas las reimpresiones).

En España se traducen obras de más de 50 lenguas extranjeras. El inglés es la lengua de traducción preponderante, pero también hay hueco para lenguas minoritarias en nuestro país como el hebreo, el eslovaco, el sánscrito o el hindi.

8 de cada 10 títulos traducidos (el 81,6%) proceden de alguna lengua extranjera, mayoritariamente del inglés, y 2 de cada 10 (18,4%) de alguna lengua española.

Las 6 lenguas más traducidas en 2016 fueron el inglés, el castellano, el francés, el italiano, el alemán y el japonés.

En Cataluña se registra casi el 52% de toda la obra traducida en España, cerca del 31% en Madrid.

La mayor parte de las traducciones se realizan sobre libros de Infantil y juvenil (34,3%), Tiempo libre (33,2%) y Creación literaria (23,3%).

Casi el 23% de las traducciones se publican ya en formato digital.



Fuente:http://www.mecd.gob.es/cultura/areas/libro/mc/observatoriolect/redirige/destacados/2017/septiembre/observatorio/descubre-al-traductor.html






     Translation and Diversity – ITD 2017



                                  Translation and Diversity









ITD 2017 poster, designed by Veva Graphics.

The year 2017 marks an historical milestone for all professional translators, interpreters and terminologists, with the 71st Session of the United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopting Resolution A/RES/71/288, recognising the role of professional translation in connecting nations, and fostering peace, understanding and development. In the same resolution, the United Nations General Assembly declared 30 September to be UN International Translation Day, celebrated across the entire UN network.

The International Federation of Translators (FIT) is proud to announce the poster for the International Translation Day 2017 theme, ‘Translation and Diversity’.

The poster design was commissioned for this one-off momentous occasion and professionally created by Veva Graphics and Design. We thank them for their contribution.

Representing a celebration of language as an expression of our diversity and humanity, the design includes key words from the UN resolution translated in indigenous languages. Highlighting the need for translation in maintaining accessibility and visibility of indigenous languages, this also heralds the upcoming UN Year of Indigenous Languages to be celebrated in 2019.

Cultural diversity is closely tied to linguistic diversity. Losing your language means losing a part of your cultural identity. Translation is important both to maintaining and learning from a culture. Globalisation brings greater international cooperation, but the downside of that can be cultural homogenisation, which in turn threatens diversity. In an effort to access global markets effectively, products and services are often translated with sensitivity to the target culture, rather than imposing the culture of the source content. This type of translation, called localisation, thus supports diversity.

Each culture in the world should be in control of its destiny. By promoting diversity of cultures and languages, we can hope to create a world full of possibilities for learning, growing and sharing a peaceful vision for humanity based on mutual understanding and respect. We thank translators for their contribution to diversity as we celebrate International Translation Day 2017.

Please join FIT and our supporting counterparts WASLI (World Association of Sign Language Interpreters, WFD (World Federation of the Deaf), The European Commission, CEATL (Conseil Européen des Associations de Traducteurs Littéraires), UNESCO Director General, Irina Bokova, and the United Nations in celebrating Translation and Diversity on International Translation Day, 30 September 2017.



Source:http://www.fit-ift.org/translation-and-diversity_itd_2017/Google Images






















No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed as far as they are constructive and polite.

ChatGPT, una introducción realista, por Ariel Torres

The following information is used for educational purposes only.           ChatGPT, una introducción realista    ChatGPT parece haber alcanz...